Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Journal Van Tries Part 5 serial

                                               



           The Journal Van Tries  a work of fiction written by Tim R. Francis Lorain, Ohio 44052



                           My name is Johnathan Van Tries and this is my story;

    The date is Jan 22nd 2010, it is 5: 00 in the afternoon, late afternoon, some would call this evening, I prefer late afternoon.  My cousins arrived in town last night, they went straight to the old lantern cafe and tavern, cousin Michael and I met them there at roughly 9 pm.  We asked for a large table in the back of the cafe, there the 7 of us, the remaining Van Druzul cousins would talk about the will to be read on thursday Jan the 28th.  The will is to be read outside on the front lawn of the Van Druzul estate precisely at 12 noon, no matter what the weather conditions are the will has to be read on the 34th anniversary of Aunt Ks death.

    Journal let me introduce my cousins to you;  cousin Katrina Dunkel Van Druzul; her brother
Michael Gaustaf Van Druzul;  Karl Ebeneezer Van Druzul; Alana Katherine Van Druzul;
Duncan Wilhelm Van Druzul; Anthony Gongetti Van Druzul; and of course myself
Johnathan Jacob Van Druzul.    By 9:30 we had our dinner and a round of drinks, I myself had a scotch with a splash of bourbon and a twist of lime on the rocks, after last nights friendly neighborhood meeting I needed it.

      We raised our glasses, salute we all said in unison, to Auntie K, we were not loud not the least bit, we did not want to arouse suspicion , michael kept looking at me and making hand gestures, he wanted me to talk about the book.  I started to tell everyone that the stolen book from the shoreway printing company was discovered in the possesion of a woman from our past, a woman named Regina Mason co owner of the old hardware store on Lake Rd.

      Oh no said cousin Katrina, I never did like her I saw her steal something from the old Fulton Bros.deli  back in 1975;  Oh. what a bitch that woman is cousin Anthony said, you know I was in town a few years ago for the NASCAR  race .I was taking some pictures of the winner Carlos Romero, a small boy and his brother came up to get an autograph, the boys older brother was in a wheelchair, they had made their way to the pits where the car was parked, they had just gotten up to Carlos Romero when she walked in front of them.       She told them to get out of her way and she pushed the boy aside and moved in front of him.   Oh how terrible the other cousins said.

       Johnathan, you and mike would not be telling us this unless you had a plan to recover the book, why would she want this book, its just about the neighborhood, a history of sorts, nothing pertaining to her, it has no value  cousin Alana said.   You are slightly correct I told her, true it has no value, but it has an extensive history of the Van Druzul Mansion, they have it listed along with the Franklin Castle as areas where hauntings have been reported.   Hauntings chuckled cousin Karl don't be absurd.  I'll haunt her alright  said katrina.
    
    Quiet down everyone I said, Mike and I have a plan to get the book back, yes said mike, tonight regina will be coming in here around 10 pm as she does every night, only tonight she will be bringing the book with her.   How do you know that ? asked Alana, Easy Alana mike replied I had a friend of mine call her and make arrangements for her to bring the book with her tonight, she thinks she is meeting with Alexis Pierpont of the Paranormal Institute of Boston, when she arrives  I will go up to her and charm that book right out of her hands.

   As 10:00 approached Regina Mason came into the tavern and sat down at the bar, there were two seats, one on each side of her, she had a large purse with her, just large enough to hold a book, which she laid on the bar in front of her.   Mike waited about 10 minutes and then a woman sat down next to her on the one side and then mike on the other.   Regina seemed nervous, mike ordered his drink and then looked at regina, i could overhear the conversation as I was seated at the table directly behind them.

  " well hello beautiful, where have you been hiding all my life" mike said to her  "If you're talking to me, I am here with my husband a cleveland police officer" she said   " Wow what a lucky man he is to have someone as gorgeous as you. I am jealous, maybe I should buy you both a drink " I don't want one thank you, I don't drink, besides I'm waiting for someone" she said, " Well said mike, can I at least get the ladies name that is refusing my generosity, and such a beautiful lady you are"  mike continued and within 10 minutes she had told him her name and accepted the drink.

    At this time mikes friend a woman named Alexis, leaned in and asked if she was Regina Mason, as Alexis was talking to her on one side and mike moving in and talking to her on the other and the drink she ordered, a vodka straight , all causing her mind to wander, she became careless and somewhat loud, alexis ordered regina another drink, the bartender Scott Williams sat the drink down in front of her and leaned in ,
"You know he said looking at her you have the most beautiful hazel eyes"  Regina started laughing, at that time I stood up and moved in next to alexis.
  
    Regina finished her drink and scott brought her another one, regina continued to giggle, it was then that Alexis asked her if she had brought the book with her, she said yes that she had and started fumbling through the purse she had it in. "Oh yeah here this is the nook  oops ,book you see, you want to see, do you boys want a look she said giggling"  She kept her left hand on the book, alexis then placed her hand on the book.
 Oh Regina what a very pretty name for such a beautiful lady mike said to her, may I kiss your most beautiful hand he asked, she freely gave mike her hand but kept the other on the book.  Now just a minute what about me asked scott , don't i get a hand.   With a broad smile and a sloshed giggle she freely gave her left hand to scott at which time alexis grabbed the book and gave it to me.

    I placed the book inside my briefcase and walked back to the table to inform the others that I have the missing book in my possession and replaced it with a cookbook.    As we all were finishing our drinks I saw mike wave to me he was heading back to the cottage, he had scott the bartender with him, giving him a ride to the airport, alexis excused herself and told regina she would be right back , alexis scurried out the back door and got into mikes car to head back to the airport with her fiance scott.

  Just as we were getting ready to leave, Dr. Kilborne walked past our table, he paused for a moment , good evening Mr. Knepp  he said,  good evening I replied.  he asked if we were having a celebration, I told him no, just a few drinks with my co workers, you know a long hard day at the office calls for a night of relaxation I said.   Ah I see he said, where is your cousin he asked, Oh I said most likely he is out with friends at a cavaliers game  I responded,  Humph he said you do seem to have all the answers don't you.
I try I said back to him.  So you do he said to me, I wouldn't be so overly confident if I were you johnny he said to me and then he walked away.

   Who the hell was that asked Karl and Tony , that was the man from the hardware store, he calls himself Dr. Kilborne a retired dentist and neighborhood historian.  Well it is getting rather late, and I'm tired, when we meet tomorrow down by the lake I will inform you all about him and the deputy.  Right now, lets leave this place, keep your car doors locked, something tells me we are not welcome here, nor are we safe.

    Just as we were leaving a newsflash came across the television screen, An attack of the night before in Mentor Woods was being brought up again. Lets go now! I said to everyone, and again remember keep your car doors locked!.  As we were getting ready to leave, Katrina picked up the bill on the table and said she would pay for it, not thinking she went up to the counter and gave the waitress her credit card to pay the bill.

   Once home I picked up the paper which Michael had tossed over to me earlier in the evening, well I said to myself the Daily Tribune Clevelands  newspaper founded in 1845 and published everyday since. Now lets see this headline I said to myself, Michael had stepped out onto the porch to light his pipe, a pipe which his father had given him after he landed a huge advertising deal with Trump Industries. The pipe once belonged to mikes grandfather.   As I look at the paper, there it is in bold type
 TRAGEDY STRIKES MENTOR WOODS,  MAN AND WOMAN ATTACKED! POLICE HUNT ATTACKER.   Here we go I said, it has begun.
     
                 my name is Johnathan Van Tries and this is my story

END PART 5 JOURNAL VAN TRIES   PART 6 WEDNESDY
SAME VAN TRIES TIME        SAME VAN TRIES CHANNEL
you have just read a continuing serial "The Journal Van Tries"  a work of fiction 
written by Tim R. Francis  Lorain, Ohio

No comments:

Post a Comment